Department: Enhancing Livelihoods through Livestock Knowledge Systems (ELKS)
Location: Jamshedpur or Ranchi, India
Duration: 3-year contract
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), New Delhi as part of its new programme on “Enhancing Livelihoods through Livestock Knowledge Systems” (ELKS), funded by Navajbai Ratan Tata Trust (NRTT), an allied Trust of the Sir Ratan Tata Trust (SRTT) seeks to recruit a Senior Technical Officer (STO) to work in Jharkhand. The STO is expected to provide technical support on applied livestock research and development, particularly in goat and pig production and marketing for improvement in rural livelihoods of underprivileged communities. S/he will also assist data collection and support ILRI scientists in the analysis and preparation of reports, articles, and presentations.
The post holder will formally report to the Senior Programme Manager (ELKS), ILRI, New Delhi and will work very closely with the Trusts’ initiative in Jharkhand (CInI-Collectives for Integrated Livelihood Initiatives). In addition the post holder will support CInI in their livestock based programmes based on demand.
Broad areas of support in Jharkhand include:
• Goat and pig value chain analysis
• Development of sustainable models for pig and goat production and marketing by smallholder tribal communities and provide handholding support for scaling out of successful models by partner organizations
• Identification of policy and institutional bottlenecks and gaps in pro-poor livestock development and policy facilitation to upscale tested models
The post is open to Indian nationals only
Required Skills and experience
• Sound understanding of livestock systems in India and their role in rural livelihoods, particularly in underprivileged communities and groups.
• At least 5 years’ experience in livestock research or development or in livestock support services.
• An understanding of rural development theory and practice.
• Demonstrated experience in field studies /research.
• Good communication skills in the local language and English.
• Candidates with significant work experience in Jharkhand or similar environments and will be given preference.
• MSc in veterinary science /animal production /animal nutrition/ agricultural economics/ natural resource management or any other relevant area.
• Provide technical support in the broader areas of programme components described above
• Support ILRI researchers in conducting field-based trials (including feeds and fodder), surveys, data collection and analysis.
• Facilitate partnerships and linkages with local stakeholders including research institutions through networking workshops, meetings and one to one interactions.
• Presentation of the programme and its results to a range of stakeholders including target communities, researchers, development organisations and government.
• Document relevant experiences and develop case studies
• Facilitate institutional synergy with various stakeholders in the state
• Contribute existing skills to ILRI activities in other regions
The post will be based in Jamshedpur or Ranchi but frequent travel will be required to project locations across Jharkhand and ILRI office in New Delhi.
An attractive salary will be provided to the right candidate. The position is available for a period of three years depending on performance and availability of funds.
Candidates should (electronically) send their applications, comprising a complete CV, a list of three referees and a covering letter explaining their interest in the position and what can they contribute to:
V PadmakumarSenior Manager (ELKS Programme)International Livestock Research InstituteCG Centres’ Block B, National Agricultural Science Centre,Dev Prakash Shastri Marg, New Delhi 110012, IndiaEmail: email@example.comPhone: +91 (0)11 25609844Fax: +91-(0)11 25609814
Screening of applications will begin on 10th February 2011 and will continue until the post is filled.