Oxfam GB, Kenya works with pastoralists and other marginalised communities in Arid and Semi Arid Lands (ASAL) as well as the urban centres to address poverty.
Our experience in development work has highlighted that inclusive participation in policy formulation and implementation processes, decision-making and resource allocation is critical to a long-term approach to addressing poverty.
The strengthening of the Civil Society Organisations (CSO) to galvanise communities voices for good governance has been identified as key towards sustainability and reduction of poverty.
In support of this programme we are looking for a Governance Officer with a strong commitment to the needs of the poor, highly developed interpersonal skills, and one who is comfortable working at community and national levels.
- Undertake the mapping of good governance advocacy organizations at community and national levels and support their galvanisation into coalitions /social movements.
- Research, good governance analysis and lobbying on good governance & practice issues, particularly on socio- economic issues.
- Support the programme to fine tune & implement a human rights perspective in governance.
- Manage and monitor the implementation of the governance strategy and provide advice and guidance to programme teams.
- Undertake fundraising for governance activities in the Kenya programme.
- Support programme in good governance influencing campaigns.
- Develop a working mechanism for programme teams to engage in the National Plan of Action Implementation at district levels and monitor and report on the same.
You will have
- A degree in social sciences or other development related field.
- Relevant experience of working with governance and advocacy programmes.
- Experience in research and translating research into advocacy action plans.
- Experienced in coalition and social movements building.
- Ideal understanding of marginalized communities in both urban and the ASAL communities.
- Initiative and ability to work independently.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Good facilitation and networking skills.
- Well-developed leadership qualities.
Application Deadline: 20th November.
If you believe you fit the profile, please submit your application and CV detailing your experience for the post and including daytime telephone contact and two referees, preferably your current line managers, quoting Governance Officer.