Closing date: 29 June
- Knowledge of UNDP/UN regulations, rules, policies, procedures and practices;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Sound understating and experience of working in Arab and/or African contexts.
- Promotes partnerships and is proactive in pursuing new partnerships
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Promotes team work
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
- Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to UNDP Practice Areas and actively works towards continuing personal learning and development
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability for planning and establishing priorities; coordinating and monitoring the work of others, and delegating responsibility where appropriate;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Good interpersonal and supervisory skills;
- Good command of MS Office applications (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and advanced knowledge of web based management systems desirable (Atlas etc).
Management and Leadership
- Flexible and responsive with a client-oriented approach;
- Effective problem-solver; demonstrated capacity-building and facilitation skills;
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback
- Encourages risk-taking in the pursuit of creativity and innovation
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Resourcefulness, initiative, and maturity of judgment.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines
- Ability to think strategically and the ability to translate this into practical and feasible operational actions
Masters Degree in development studies or social sciences and development issues
- Prospective candidates must have a minimum of five years recent and relevant experience in a similar position, supporting implementation and management of projects and country office operations.
- Must be conversant with UN system operations.
- In depth knowledge on programme and project management preferably in developing countries
- High proficiency in research and report writing, communication and advocacy skills.
- Ability to build networks and partnerships and capacity to work in a team set up.
- Demonstrates critical ability and sound judgment in the pursuit of requests to full completion.
- Good analytical and computer skills in data management, programme and project management
- Balances meeting deadlines, while maintaining highest professional standards and accuracy.
- Demonstrates the highest level of discretion and helpfulness in a manner that reflects positives on the CO
- Demonstrates understanding of the UN organizational structure and external partners for purposes of efficiently handling incoming queries and requests, and for collecting information and performing liaison functions.
Fluency in English, both verbal and written is essential; working knowledge of at least one other official UN language is an asset.
Knowledge of Arabic or Somali an asset.
Please send your curriculum vitae, marked “Executive Officer to Country Director” by 29th June to:
The Deputy Country Director (Operations),
United Nations Development Programme - Somalia,
P.O. Box 28832, 00200
UNDP will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.