Advance Africa Newsletter
May 2007 Part I
A free e-zine bringing you inspirational articles, great tips on studying abroad as well as jobs and scholarships alerts.
Serving Africans around the world.
May 02 2007, ISSUE #036.
1. International Fellowships Programme
International Fellowships Programme Scholarships are for resident nationals and other residents of Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda. These scholarships are fully funded covering tuition, stipend, travel and insurance for the beneficiary.
2. ENS Lyon Master Program International Scholarships
The ENS Lyon Master Program International Scholarships offers outstanding international students the chance to receive a 1,000 euro per month scholarship for studies in one of the master programs offered at the ENS Lyon. If accepted, candidates become ENS Lyon International Students and receive a monthly allowance of €1,000 to study one of the Master programs offered.
3. International Foundation for Science (IFS) Grants
Applications for IFS Research Grants are welcome from young scientists in developing countries to do research on the sustainable management, use or conservation of biological or water resources. The eligible candidate is a scientist with at least a Master's or equivalent degree/research experience.
4. Victoria Masters by Thesis & PhD Scholarships
Applications for Victoria Masters by Thesis & PhD Scholarships are welcome. The scholarships are awarded on academic merit and are open to New Zealand and international students in any discipline. The amount to be awarded Amount is NZ $20,000 per annum.
5. Women in Business Scholarships
Women of any nationality pursuing undergraduate business degrees who demonstrate outstanding potential in the field are eligible for Jane M. Klausman Women in Business Scholarships. The scholarship award of US$5,000 may be used for tuition, books or living expenses at any university, college or institution offering accredited business courses and degrees.
6. Alpha Delta Kappa, scholarships
The ALPHA DELTA KAPPA Scholarships are for women only. The scholarships amount is $10,000 to foreign education students to study at an American institution of higher learning.
7. M.S. Positions available at The University of Central Arkansas
Applications are being accepted at University of Central Arkansas for a M.S. position (two year). A stipend is available in the form of a teaching assistantship.
8. Research Studentship in Law, King’s College London, UK
The Centre of European Law at King’s College London is offering a fully funded (fees and maintenance) studentship commencing in 2007/8 and tenable for 3 years. The studentship is open to home, EU and overseas candidates.
9. Masters & PhD Scholarship for IT Technology Program at Information and Communications University
The Republic of Korea, as one of the leading countries in the IT industry, seeks to play a more active role to meet this demand of the time. All the students will receive scholarships, up to 2 years for master degree students and up to 3 years for doctoral degree students.
10. PhD Studentship in Ethonpolictics in a Globalised World, University of Exeter
The School of Humanities and Social Sciences at the University of Exeter invites applications for a Leverhulme Trust funded PhD studentship commencing in October 2007. The studentship covers the cost of the home PhD tuition fees (£3300 in 2007/8) and provides a maintenance grant of £12,600 pa.
11. PhD studentships in Radiocal Polymerisiation, University of Warwick
The Department of Chemistry at the University of Warwick has 2 PhD studentships available to start August – October 2007 in Radical Polymerisiation. The University of Warwick requires that all applications should be made ONLY using the Postgraduate Application form their website.
12. PhD Research Studentship in Biostatistics - Swiss Tropical Institute
Applications are invited for a PhD studentship in the area of spatial statistical modelling applied to mapping schistosomiasis transmission in different settings of Africa. The studentship covers living cost and tuition fees and provides support for 3 years.
13. PhD Visiting Scholarships at SPIRIT - Aalborg University
Up to three visiting scholarships are available at the Doctoral School SPIRIT, Aalborg University, in the Fall 2007. A Monthly stipend of DKK 7,000 (to cover rent and other living expenses during the stay) will be provided.
14. PhD Studentship in Behavioural Science, Health Protection Agency & Imperial College London - UK
Applications are invited for a PhD studentship in Behavioural Science funded by the Health Protection Agency. This three year studentship (one of seven currently available) attracts a stipend of £14,350 pa (including London weighting).
15. PhD Studentship in Capital Modelling in Insurance, City University London
City University London invites applications for PhD Studentship in Capital Modelling in Insurance. The bursary will cover full tuition fees and a maintenance grant of £17,000 per annum (payable monthly) over 42 months with effect from 1 October 2007 or as soon as possible thereafter.
16. PhD positions at Scuola Normale Superiore of Pisa - Italy
The Scuola Normale Superiore of Pisa announces a competition based on candidates’ degrees and work to date for the academic year 2007/2008. Competition for 13 positions for graduate studies (PhD), are reserved to university graduates who are citizens of non-European union nations.
17. Fully funded 4-year PhD scholarship: Computational Glaciology
Swansea University invites applications for a Fully funded 4-year PhD scholarship: Computational Glaciology. The ideal candidate for this PhD would have a background in a quantitative science, such as geosciences, geophysics, mathematics, physics or engineering.
18. PhD Position in Remote Sensing/Atmospheric Research at The Institute of Remote Sensing and Environmental Physics
The University of Bremen offers a PhD position for 3 years with payment according to TV-L 13 /2. The candidate should have a German Diploma or a Master of Science degree in Physics, Meteorology, Mathematics or comparable fields.
19. International PhD Stipend In Spatial And Computational Statistics
An International PhD Stipend in Spatial and Computational Statistics is available at Aalborg University. According to the formal regulations of the Faculty, PhD stipends are allocated to individuals who hold a Master’s degree.
20. PhD Fellowship in Modelling of Nanoparticle Formation - Swinburne University of Technology
Swinburne University of Technology is a seeking a suitable qualified student from an engineering and/or science background to undertake this post-graduate study. The value of this scholarship is AUD 19231 (maximum per annum). This award is to be used for living expenses.
21. PhD Positions in Mathematical and Biomedical Engineering at Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven seeks one of more outstanding graduate students for various PhD Positions in Mathematical and Biomedical Engineering. The chosen candidate will be an enthusiastic person and initiator with good communication skills and a good knowledge of English.
22. PhD Opening at McMaster University - Canada
An opening for a Ph.D. student is anticipated in the School of Computational Engineering & Science at McMaster University. pplicants should have an M.Sc. degree in Applied Mathematics, Computer Science or a relevant engineering discipline.
23. Doctoral Grants in Economics, The University of Antwerp
As a Ph.D. student in the Faculty of Applied Economics at the University of Antwerp, you will prepare a Ph.D. in the field for which you apply and in doing so will apply for externally funded research grants. You may be involved in some limited teaching-related activities in the field of your department.
24. Post Doctorate Positions in Understanding Innovation Capacity in Relation to Livestock fodder in Developing Countries
This is a three year project funded by the UK’s Department for International Development and it seeks to appoint 2 post-doctoral positions. The persons appointed will be required to have a Ph.D. in either natural or social sciences, but with some understanding of systems perspectives on innovation.
25. Postdoctoral Position in Retinal and Early Eye Development, University of Victoria
A postdoctoral position is available in the Retinal and Early Eye Development laboratory at the University of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. The candidate must have a PhD or MD/PhD with a strong background in cell and molecular biology.
26. Various Postdoctoral Positions at Goteborg University
GU offers career opportunities for 40 exceptionally well qualified recent PhDs to perform research at one or several of GU’s departments. Applicants must have completed their PhD before the application deadline and no longer than three years before that date.
27. Postdoctoral Position “Architecture et Réactivité de l’ARN” from CNRS, University Louis Pasteur of Strasbourg - France
A three-year postdoctoral position is available immediately at University Louis Pasteur of Strasbourg - France. The successful candidate will be funded by ANR (Agence National de la Recherche): 23000 euros per year, for 3 years.
28. Postdoctoral Research Assistant in Computational Chemistry, Oxford University
Applications are invited for a postdoctoral position at Oxford University, on the application of computational techniques to the study of membrane proteins. The post is available for a year period initially, with the possibility of renewal for one further year.
29. Postdoctoral Fellowships in the Mathematical Evolutionary Epidemiology of Influenza
Applications are sought from outstanding researchers for two postdoctoral positions in the mathematical evolutionary epidemiology of influenza. Salary will begin at C$40,000 per year. Both positions will be for a period of two years.
30. Postdoctoral Research Position on Airborne Measurements of Atmospheric Nitric Dioxide at Max Planck Institute - Germany
The department of Air Chemistry at Max Planck Institute, Germany invites applications for Postdoctoral Research Position on Airborne Measurements of Atmospheric Nitric Dioxide. The institute wishes to increase the number of female co-workers in areas in which they are underrepresented and in this regard, applications from women are particularly encouraged.
31. Postdoctoral Positions in Translational Bioinformatics, Stanford University, UK
The Laboratory of Dr. Atul Butte at Stanford Medical School is seeking highly motivated investigators for various Postdoctoral Positions in Translational Bioinformatics. Postdoctoral Fellowships are fully funded for up to three years.
B. Upcoming deadlines
1. Femmes Africa Solidarité Internships
2. Project Leader - Livestock Systems Evolution, ILRI, Nairobi, Kenya
3. Employment Opportunity – Liberia HIV Program Analyst
4. Training Manager, Partners In Health, Rwanda
5. IT Manager, Partners In Health, Malawi
6. MDR-TB Project Manager, Partners In Health,Maseru, Lesotho
7. Manager, The Business Development Initiative, Sierra Leone
8. Country Director, Clinton Foundation HIV/AIDS Initiative, Liberia
9. I-TECH Operations Manager, I-TECH, Maputo, Mozambique
10. Girls Education Consultant, CHF International, Abuja, Nigeria
11. Mental Health Professional/Trainer, Center for Victims of Torture
12. Plant Biosciences Research Support Scientist, ILRI, Nairobi, Kenya
13. HIV/Aids Consultancy, CHF International, Kajo Keji, Sudan
14. Team Leader, GRM International, Ethiopia
15. Project Director, UJANA, Family Health International, Dar es Salaam
16. Interpreter (French), United Nations Office, Nairobi