Advance Africa Newsletter
April 2007 Part II
A free e-zine bringing you inspirational articles, great tips on studying abroad as well as jobs and scholarships alerts.
Serving Africans around the world.
April 11 2007, ISSUE #033.
1. University of Liverpool International Scholarships
Up to forty scholarships offering a 25% fee reduction are available for full-time, non-clinical, undergraduate programmes or postgraduate taught masters courses. Scholarship application forms will be automatically forwarded to all eligible students who have been made an offer of a place at the University.
2. Dorothy Hodgkin Postgraduate Awards - University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool will be offering two awards(full tuition and living costs) under the Dorothy Hodgkin Postgraduate Awards scheme. Departments will select the strongest Mphil/PhD applicants who match the areas of the awarding research councils, and take account of the preferences of the industrial partners and the University's own strategic priorities.
3. DAAD Scholarship Programme
DAAD Scholarship Programmes have benefited hundreds of African students since inception. The scholarships are given each year to postgraduate students wishing to study for a master‘s or PhD degree.
4. Masters and PhD Scholarships, Catholic Academic Exchange Service (KAAD)
The Catholic Academic Exchange Service (KAAD) is a scholarship organization of the German Catholic Church that provides financial and civic educational support for high potential postgraduate scholars from Africa, Asia, Latin America and Eastern Europe. Applications for Master-programs in Germany will be considered primarily for candidates whose professional experience and objectives reveal that a Masters-degree, and not a Ph.D., is the final goal of their higher education ('terminal Master').
5. EADB Graduate Scholarship in Development Studies
This EADB Graduate Scholarship in Development Studies programme offers three (3) scholarships each year to citizens of Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda who wish to pursue studies leading to a Doctor of Philosophy degree in Development Studies in a recognized institution of higher learning in East Africa. Each scholarship covers tuition fees, subsistence allowance, travel, and other related expenses.
6. Fellowships in Architectural Research
Rafael Viñoly Architects Offers Fellowships in Architectural Research. Eligible fellows may come from any country and can have a degree or experience in any field.
7. Elizabeth Neuffer Fellowship
The Elizabeth Neuffer Fellowship provides an opportunity for a woman journalist working in the print, broadcast or Internet media to spend an academic year in a tailored program that combines access to MIT’s Center for International Studies and other Boston-area universities and two media companies; The Boston Globe and The New York Times. The successful candidate will have three or more years of journalism experience.
8. Exoplanetary Systems Research - Utrecht University
Utrecht University has received funding for a high-precision imaging polarimeter to study the formation, evolution and structure of extra-solar planetary systems by detecting the polarization of starlight scattered by circumstellar material. Gross salary starts with 1956 euro per month and increases to 2502 euro in the fourth year of employment.
9. Directorate General for Development Cooperation Scholarships
Each year, a number of Directorate General for Development Cooperation Scholarships are awarded exclusively in the DGCD partner countries. Besides a monthly living allowance, the scholarship also covers registration fees, travel expenses and insurances.
10. Research Assistant needed for Arabidopsis ecological plant genetics project in Europe
A Research Assistant for Arabidopsis ecological plant genetics project in Europe is being sought. The fellowship stipend will be $35,000 plus health insurance and other benefits.
11. Graduate student position to study general and fundamental issues in evolution at the University of New Brunswick, Canada
A graduate student position is available at the Department of Biology, University of New Brunswick, Canada. Highly motivated students with interests in either theoretical or experimental approaches, and previous research experience are encouraged to apply.
12. Business Summer School Brasov, Romania
Business Summer School is a summer program which attracts senior students both from Romania and abroad to debate economical issues. Open to master and PhD students under the age of 35.
13. Scholarships for Young Postgraduate Students in Islamicjerusalem Studies at United Kingdom
Islamic Research Academy (ISRA) is pleased to announce the continuation of it scholarships for Young Postgraduate Students in Islamicjerusalem Studies. The full scholarship will cover the full student tuition fee and will also include a fixed monthly sum to cover living expenses (£500).
14. Design Innovation Scholarship - University of Plymouth
Applications are invited for a Scholarship in the Faculty of Arts, University of Plymouth for practice-led postgraduate research (MPhil/PhD) specialising in Three Dimensional Design. Applications from non-UK/EU students are welcome with the expectation that funds have been secured to meet the difference in fee level.
15. PhD Studentship in Molecular Biology of Chromosome Stability - Newcastle University
Newcastle University invites applications for a PhD Studentship in Molecular Biology. A 3-year stipend of £12,600 per annum is open to all nationalities.
16. Fully funded PhD Studentship in Gas Turbine Engineering - Cranfield Universty
PhD Studentships are available at Cranfield Universty. Strong interaction with industry in this field means that individuals are well prepared for a rewarding career after its successful completion.
17. PhD studentship in the School of Computing at the Dublin Institute of Technology
Applications are invited for a three year PhD studentship in the School of Computing at the Dublin Institute of Technology. Applicants for this studentship are expected to have a good honours degree in computer science or a related discipline, excellent technical and programming skills and strong written and spoken English.
18. MS or PhD Student interested in plant-insect interactions at University of Alaska
A highly qualified MS or PhD student is being sought to work on an NSF-funded project examining plant-insect interactions involving aspen in Interior Alaska. Competitive candidates will have a sincere interest in and curiosity about plant-insect interactions, a strong background in ecology, a good undergraduate record, superior GRE scores, and strong letters of reference.
19. PhD position in bioinformatics and molecular phylogenetics, University of Lausanne, Switzerland
A candidate with a strong interest in theoretical aspects of phylogenetic reconstructions and bioinformatics, as well as a good background in evolutionary biology is being sought. Candidates must have completed their Master's degree or equivalent in a relevant field.
20. PhD student in evolutionary biology and bioinformatics, University of Zurich
University of Zurich is searching for a Ph.D. student with demonstrable experience and interest in evolutionary biology and a solid background in bioinformatics. The successful candidate will have a strong background in bioinformatics and computational biology.
21. PhD position in skeletal heterochronies in mammals and other amniotes - Swiss National Science Foundation
A new research group at University of Zürich invites applications for a PhD position (3 years funding, with potential ex-tension). The ideal candidate will be a highly-motivated zoologist with neontological or palaeontological background.
22. Marie Curie Summer School 2007 on Knowledge Based Materials, Partial Melts and Amorphous Materials in France
Marie Curie Summer School is pleased to announce this year’s Summer School, which focuses on Partial Melts and Amorphous Materials. Research scientists not eligible for EU funding are also most welcome to apply on a fee-paying basis.
23. 7th International Summer Academy on Technology Studies
The Inter-University Research Centre for Technology, Work and Culture is organising the seventh "International Summer Academy on Technology Studies", taking place at the Castle of Deutschlandsberg. Please submit an abstract of 300 to 500 words and a maximum of one page on your work and research background.
24. Renal Discoveries Grant Program
Baxter Healthcare Corporation Announces Renal Discoveries Grant Program to Advance Science and Care for Kidney Disease Patients. Grant recipients receive up to $375,000 each over three years.
B. Upcoming deadlines
1. Twubakane Program Officer, IntraHealth International, Kigali, Rwanda
2. Capacity Building Advisor, International HIV/AIDS Alliance, South Sudan
3. International Project Manager and LED expert, ICON-Iinstitut, Senegal
4. Finance and Grants Manager, International HIV/IDS Alliance, South Sudan
5. Chief of Party - Egypt, NCSC International
6. Communications/Media Specialist, Visions in Action, Northern Uganda
7. Gender Programmes Officer, Non-Governmental Organization, Zimbabwe
8. Senior Advisor in Market Access, SNV, Harare
9. Programme Manager, HealthNetTPO, Asmara, Eritrea
10. Internships, One World Trust, Westminster
11. Nurse-Midwife, CUAMM, Mozambique
12. Several Country Programme Officers, African Development Bank
13. Research Associate II, Family Health International, Nairobi, Kenyak
14. Portfolio Coordinator, SNV, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
15. Education Volunteer, Visions in Action, Northern Uganda
16. Forestry Officer, Food and Agriculture Organization, Harare
17. Rural Advisory Services and Extension Specialist, FAO, Khartoum & Juba
18. Field Outreach Coordinator, International Criminal Court, Kinshasa
19. Health Administrator, Visions in Action, Northern Uganda
20. Survey and Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist, FAO, Khartoum & Juba
21. Field Outreach Coordinator, International Criminal Court, Kampala, Uganda
22. Regional Resource Management Officer, IOM, Pretoria
23. Program Manager, Mercy Corps, Somalia
24. Country Director, Helen Keller International, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
25. National Surveillance Program Manager - South Sudan
26. PYP Coordinator, Aga Khan Academy, Kenya